A snapshot of my class this week! Hope it makes you smile...
This week I'm trying to teach my third grade (grade 9) girls the meaning of charity and giving to others or helping those less fortunate. It's part of their lesson that includes a dialogue like this:
Man: "Let me push your wheelchair."
Woman: "Oh, thanks. It's nice of you to help me."
Man: "Don't mention it. I'm glad to help you."
Interesting, eh? So anyhow, I'm trying to challenge them by encouraging them to be creative and find ways to help others using the phrase "let me" and also different ways to say thanks.
I've gotten 2 really funny responses so far. I don't think they understood the overarching idea....I tried.
Number 1:
"Let me break your glasses."
"Oh thanks. I appreciate it."
"No problem. I'm glad to help."
My Korean co-teacher started laughing so hard and called me over to this group. The girls had explained to her that one student really wanted new glasses, but her mom would not buy her a pair until the glasses she has now were broken...hence the dialogue!! What a good friend.
Number 2:
I'm walking around the class and some girls call me over..."Teacher, what does this mean?"
On the paper, "Let me blow your mind."
I just laughed. "Do you know a song with that in it?" To which they said, "yes." and we ended up singing a little bit of the song.
I explained it as something that was shocking or unbelievable. They were like, "but sexy too teacher?" "Yes, in the song it's supposed to be sexy too!" haha
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Boy are you needed there!! haha
Hopefully you can teach them more useful English.
Grandma is still amazed at seeing & talking with you!
Love you,
Mom
haha, i love the story about the broken glasses. priceless!
Post a Comment